12.31.2018


I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it calls itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defense the only arms I allow myself to use -- silence, exile, and cunning.” ― James Joyce


Sonnet

Bid me not: Speak! My blessings? Few remain,
though imprecations clamour at the hour.
One Word already answers rebels’ glower,
and I will not feed malcontent disdain.

No. I was made to speak, if not be heard.
What difference, then, to sermonize the sea?
Testify to a mountain? Teach a tree
to parse on its own tattooed skin a Word?

No. Ear and tongue alike for glory serve.
So, wants my grey betwixt surpassing wit –
an iron spur, a gleaming silver bit
to lead, by dint of deeds, where each deserve.

No. Horse and chariot prove a faithless tool.
As I must speak, I will do as Your fool.
~



No comments: